20 November 2012

Are long-distance relationships reliable?

I’ll always remember my last summer holiday. It all began when my old friend Mike called me one night. It was ages since we last talked to each other, so I thought that he wanted to tell me something important. Certainly, he needed a shoulder to cry on, and as he seemed really concerned, I decided to visit him.
By the time I arrived in Barcelona, Mike was waiting for me at the airport. He had changed a lot since the last time I saw him. We decided to have lunch at a restaurant and, during the meal, he explained to me all his problems. He had started a relationship with a woman, Mary, and they were so happy during the first months. Just when they were at the summit of the relationship, Mary told him that she had to move to America because of her job. However, she would return to Spain in a year. Despite their promises of being in touch, they began to grow apart. She didn’t answer Mike’s phone calls, moreover, she didn’t return after a year, so he concluded that Mary was cheating on him. Their relationship was over. At that moment, I realized that long-distance relationships don’t work at all, and I felt so sorry for my friend. Mike has always been a good guy, he didn’t deserve it.   
As we hadn’t seen each other for a long time, we had always something to talk about, and I realized that we had many things in common. We became really good friends, so we decided to meet more frequently. Nevertheless, I sometimes wonder if our friendship will end like his relationship with Mary ended.

Rafa Jiménez Aguilar
2n batx. A

No comments:

Post a Comment